5 Tips for Creating LED Sign Messages
Businesses are constantly looking for new ways to promote their products and services. The right advertising techniques can help you reach broader audiences and boost brand awareness.
Companies use LED sign messages for a variety of purposes, from displaying business announcements to advertising upcoming sales to communicating business hours. You can customize LED message signs to feature any image, video or text, making them a popular option for a wide range of industries.
But how do you create an effective LED message sign? Read on to learn more about these signs and get some LED sign messaging tips.
In This Article
- What Are LED Message Signs?
- 5 Tips for Creating LED Sign Messages
- Additional Factors to Consider When Using LED Signs
- Light Up Your Message With LED Signs From Integrated Signs
What Are LED Message Signs?
LED message signs are customizable electronic displays. These signs contain thousands of light-emitting diodes (LEDs) that can display messages brightly and clearly. LED lights produce less heat and use less energy than standard lightbulbs, making them an energy-efficient solution for various applications.
LED message signs can support images, videos or text. Each sign arranges the LEDs into clusters to portray an ongoing message, image or video or to cycle through a selection.
Other names for LED message signs include:
- LED displays
- Electronic signs
- Digital displays
- Electronic message centers
You can mount LED signs on walls or pedestals to display your content. For example, you could place an LED message sign outside your store to promote a specific sale or item. You can also use LED signs to draw attention to important information, such as messages about traffic patterns.
5 Tips for Creating LED Sign Messages
If your business wants to use LED sign messages, here are some tips for creating them:
1. Consider Size and Location
If you’re using an LED sign to advertise your business or products, it’s essential to choose the right size and location:
- Location: Many businesses position their LED signs outside to attract drivers or pedestrians as they walk past. You can also place LED boards indoors to remind customers of ongoing sales or new items. Whichever you choose, place the sign where customers can easily view it. Entryways and exits are excellent options for signs because all customers have to walk through them.
- Size: You’ll want to select a size that catches customers’ eyes. Whether you plan to place it indoors or outdoors, pick dimensions that will draw attention and urge customers to look. However, be careful not to go overboard — a too-large sign might annoy customers or come across as too chaotic. Select a size that fits with your internal or external decor.
2. Keep Things Clear
Clarity is another crucial aspect to consider during your LED sign design. Designs that are easy to read and understand will have a bigger impact on visitors. Here are some tips for LED sign clarity:
- Colors: Some color combinations are easier to read than others. High contrast, like white text on a black background, often makes reading more manageable. You’ll also want to use colors that won’t strain a reader’s eyes. Basic colors like black and yellow are classic choices, while options like bright green or hot pink might distract from your message.
- Font: You can select whatever font you desire, formatting the sign according to a specific theme. If you have a text-based message, consider selecting easy-to-read fonts like simple block letters. Various software options will let you easily adjust your text to reflect new demands, products or events.
- Speed: If you use moving text, its speed can also impact your sign’s readability. The average adult can read 200-300 words per minute — between three and five words per second. Make sure your text stays on the sign long enough for customers to read it, and choose powerful words to keep your message simple. If you use a series of images, ensure customers have time to view them thoroughly before the program switches to the next one.
- Spacing: Pay attention to the spacing between different letters and phrases during your sign design. Sufficient space between words and images can help readers understand your messaging more clearly. Signs use negative space — the empty space surrounding an image or text — to create a balanced design. The extra space makes it easier to process images or read text, especially when using block letters.
3. Add Engaging Features
Using creativity in your design can help keep customers engaged. Make sure your messages or images stand out to help attract new customers. Consider using:
- Catchy slogans or phrases.
- Messages about big sales or exciting new products.
- Eye-catching product photos.
With these strategies, you can help your sign stand out from its surroundings. New customers attracted to the image or text may feel compelled to visit your business.
4. Maintain Variety
You should also maintain variety with your sign’s messaging and images. When a display stays the same for a long time, it becomes less likely to draw customer attention. Try switching up your messages, videos and images to excite existing customers and attract new ones.
5. Use Color Wisely
Color is a significant part of creating effective LED signs. Whether you choose a monochrome or multicolored sign, your color choice will affect how people understand your sign’s message and purpose. Colors can also define your brand’s mood and business type. For example, bright colors can give the sign a stronger sense of urgency, while neutral colors promote a sense of calm.
It’s also essential to ensure your design and color scheme fits your budget. You’ll need multiple colors if you decide to use pictures for your LED message display. If you want to use multiple graphics, each one may require a different color scheme. Remember that additional colors can make multicolored signs more costly than monochromatic signs.
Additional Factors to Consider When Using LED Signs
In addition to design, you should also consider external factors. These are a few other aspects to think about as you choose an LED sign:
- Indoor or outdoor placement: You can place your sign indoors or outdoors. Outdoor signs can attract new passersby, while indoor displays can communicate important messages to those inside your business. Some companies use both internal and external signs to get the full benefits.
- Direct sunlight: How the sun hits your sign can affect its longevity and readability. Glare from the sun might make a sign challenging to read. Excessive direct sunlight can also weaken LED diodes, causing LED signs to lose intensity more quickly.
- Combination capabilities: You can also pair an LED sign with a standard one. For example, the top half might contain an exterior face-lit sign with your company’s brand name and logo, while the bottom uses an LED sign to promote sales or upcoming events. A combination of sign types can help you balance consistency and creativity.
Light Up Your Message With LED Signs From Integrated Signs
LED signs and electronic displays can help excite customers and improve brand awareness. At Integrated Signs, we are passionate about creating LED signs that take businesses to new levels of success. Our team has decades of experience, and we’re dedicated to helping your organization create the best LED sign possible.
Contact us or request a quote today to get started with Integrated Signs.